Monday, February 17, 2014

Custom Work: Inspired by Italy


A really fun part of what I get to do is translate a special time and place into a painted representation for clients. This project was really special because I got to take myself on a lovely vicarious vacation as I painted.

This was a recent commission done for the sweetest couple who wanted a focal piece for their den that reminded them of their time in Italy. It was such a fun piece to work on since I got to vicariously return to the Amalfi coast and dream of soaking up the sun in the Italian country side. If you've ever been to Italy, or even just perused pictures, you see color all around. The landscape is positively resplendent with colorful houses dotting the mountainsides and water reflecting a sparkling sun.
 I chose to represent their memories of the houses on the mountainside in swashes of bold color, capturing the essence  of the mountainsides you see as you travel along the coast.   

Mmmm. Italy. It's always a good time to go, even if you get to travel through a painting. Katrina and Steve, thank you for letting me be a part of your living room and for letting me travel back to a beautiful place through your memories!  

No comments :

Post a Comment