Friday, June 29, 2012

Downton Memphis- An Unlikely Field Trip...

Last week, David and I took a field trip downtown to visit a very unlikely hot spot: Elmwood Cemetery. Buried in the heart of downtown, this place blew my mind with the vast amount of eclectic tombstones- most of them insanely elaborate. We discovered that this is the spot for the who's who in Memphis times past. Some seriously famous Memphians are buried here and many tell quite appalling tales. Criminals, adventurers, city founders and developers, philanderers, philanthropists, all are buried together in a beautiful mosaic of stone. It looks like a giant game of chess. David was able to get some killer shots for some paintings. He's in high gear getting ready for a show in August (at WKNO- details to come!) and has been painting up a storm. Here's a few sneak peeks on his blog.  We toured the cemetery for a while and then headed to find a food truck for lunch. We somehow got in the middle of a top secret food truck competition that's soon to air. Perhaps you'll see a very exciting clip of me ordering a taco in the near future. Perhaps not. On a completely random bunny trail, I do have to take note of this shaved ice tent that's in court square. Did anyone know this was in town? I just couldn't stop staring at it, waiting for Dumbo to round the corner. Perhaps I need a circus fix...

Has anyone frequented an odd Memphis hot spot lately! Share! I wanna know what I'm missing!

No comments :

Post a Comment