Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Abstract Summer Painting for My Living Room!

As promised, here's a sneak peek of the hot pink painting I worked up for my living room. I wanted something abstract and bold for summer and I needed a fresh pop of color that would accent my slates and neutrals. I played around with this composition and colors for a while til I arrived at this piece.  I secretly also wanted to use this frame I've been saving for a while as well for a dramatic accent..

Designer Isaac Mizrahi once said that anything goes with pink, and I couldn't agree more. The execution of incorporating pink is the tricky part, though, unless you want your space to look like it was vandalized by Mattel... Here's a tip on using a bold color like pink in your decorating scheme. Use small touches of your chosen bold color, surrounded by lighter shades of the same color and neutrals (white is a favorite of mine!) to set off the main hue. Use a pop or two of a complimentary color ( I chose avocado green for this piece) to set off your color even more, providing an alternate hue for the eye to feast upon.

What colors are you drooling over for summer? Any bold hues like these? 



 

5 comments :

  1. Ahh...Hilary, this is a bad color season for me as I am a perpetual coastal blues/greys/greens/ with a touch of muted apricot....no luck at the TJ maxx looking for sheets today. I thought to myself while seeing those bright summer colors shout so stridently at me..."Summer is a sad time for Jess." lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is a great time for Jess! I'd love to see some of that muted apricot- sounds delicious. Tantalizing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. H- this is beautiful! I'm really loving some abstract prints, and this turned out great! Totally looks like Issac Mizrahi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lins- i do adore me so Mizrahi. What prints are you looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hillary, I just love your style and your talent! Glad I found your blog; it's very inspiring. Hope you and David are well, Amanda Cox

    ReplyDelete