Just a few days ago I was in Baton Rouge sipping watermelon granitas by the pool with one of my very favorite people in the whole world. I spent the most wonderful week Louisianan style- soaking up Laura time with girly lunches, a Mexican dinner date, a baby shower, and chasing around her two fabulous little girls. We wrapped up the week with a very perfect morning of soaking up the sun and like true Southern girls, we faithfully toted our watermelon beverages to the pool in our long stemmed glassware. This Monday, it's back to work, but I'll indulge us all with a poolside treat to create and take along when the pool calls this week...
Watermelon Basil Granitas: (Adapted from this recipe)
- Enough watermelon, seeded and scooped into big chunks that will fit in a blender
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon raw (turbinado) sugar
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons white rum
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon basil, chopped
- Toss watermelon chunks, sugar, lime juice and rum in a blender. Pulverize the watermelon (to pulverize sounds like more fun than to purée, right?).
- Add the basil and blend until the basil is chopped into large flecks.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and use the ice crush feature to crush a blender full of ice
- Add crushed ice to granita & freeze while donning swimwear.
- Pour into impractical, frivolous glassware.
- Tote to pool!